Monday, August 07, 2006

Will you still need me? Will you still feed me?

Through the combined experiences of turning 22 yesterday and seeing a frightening infomercial involving scooters, I've noticed a few things about the elderly, particularly eldery couples, that amused me. Have you ever noticed this tendency for an older couple to be fully represented by the woman? Like, "Oh! We like Tom Brokaw!" while the husband just kind of stands there silently. Is this because he fully agrees with his wife's sentiment or could it be that any will to counter her opinion was crushed and extinguished long ago after years of tired struggle? I have no idea! But it's a common strategy for older couples, both on television (in the form of commercials, infomercials, and sitcoms) and in real life. Where are all the boistrous older married men? My guess is that the silent older men have it figured out. If they just shut up, their chances of receiving food increase greatly.