Sunday, June 15, 2008

Train Beats

Last night, my girlfriend and I, along with scores of other New York day trippers, were forced to discharge our Trenton-bound train at Newark due to a catastrophic and mysterious case of Train Won't Work. Aside from setting us back an hour plus, it was raining and we were tired after walking around the city all day. We just wanted to go home.

But amid the groans and idle meandering, a few people were making the best of the situation. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a shoe in the air, thankfully attached to a leg extended upward. It fell and that's when I realized someone was break dancing on the wet platform concrete at Newark Penn Station. By the time I reached the dancer, the requisite circle had formed and another guy was spinning like Michaelangelo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (you know, during the opening where he screams "COWABUNGAAAAAA!). Just like that.

My ear lurched when I heard a shot to my right. Someone pulled out some drumsticks and was hammering on the trashcan. It was a nice 2-3 minute performance and lifted everyone's spirits a little. What the hell is a train delay when you can dance?