Friday, June 13, 2008

A League of Their Own?

I noticed that a lot of comedians come from fairly prestigious institutions of higher learning. This makes sense, in a way, but I still think it's surprising how many stand-up comedians and writers come out of these places. I suppose it seems like a relatively risky path for a graduate to take, but you have to do what you love, right? My curiosity sparked, I got Google-happy and here are my results:

Franklyn Ajaye - Columbia Law (dropped out)

Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G, Borat) - Cambridge

Lewis Black - Yale Drama

Mike Birbiglia - Georgetown

Graham Chapman - Cambridge

John Cleese - Cambridge

Jim Gaffigan - Georgetown

Greg Giraldo - Columbia, Harvard Law

Steve Hofstetter - Columbia

Eric Idle - Cambridge

Terry Jones - Oxford

Robert Klein - Yale Drama

Bill Maher - Cornell

Demetri Martin - Yale, NYU Law (dropped out)

B.J. Novak (The Office) - Harvard

Conan O'Brien - Harvard

John Oliver (The Daily Show) - Cambridge

Michael Palin - Oxford

Mo Rocca - Harvard

Michael Showalter - Brown

Robin Williams - Julliard