Saturday, June 09, 2007

Déjà Vu: The Endgame

It looks like scientists have finally pinpointed the cause of déjà vu. It took me a while to sort through all of this pop science mumbo jumbo, but from what I've been able to discern, déjà vu occurs when the brain fails to note the distinction between two very similar situations. You know, like the distinction between the situation of being offered a nice job and the situation of spending most of your time updating a blog that maybe 20 people read.

Jaded cynicism aside, this is remarkable to me. I've always been intrigued by "common mysteries" like this. I hope MIT eventually completes a conclusive study regarding where the other sock vanishes off to in the dryer or why cargo is sent by air or sea and shipment is sent by car. You know what else would be nice? Someone proving that UFOs are a real thing and not some crackpot conspiracy theory. That would be excellent. One of the CotB interns just had to wipe up some of my drool off the keyboard.

What mysteries would you like to see solved? Or at least partially explained away? Comment!