Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Litany Against Fear


From Frank Herbert's remarkable sci-fi novel Dune, as recited by the Bene Gesserit:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
I'm going to start reciting this the next time I have to confront "seafood salad" at the dining hall.

Of course, I would probably get halfway through and take away the drama by forgetting a word or something: "Fear is the little-engine, wait, no, the little-big horn...BLARGH!....the little-egg McMuffin? Screw it. Let's bring in the inner eye." Anyways, give this powerful stuff a shot.