Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Nomadic Post

Well, as I shuffle from cave to cave (computer cluster to computer cluster) out here in the mountainous uninhabited wilds of having no computer, I've learned a few things:

-There is a lot of dust on my desk where my computer used to be.
-I end up studying a lot more with no computer to distract me.
-I tend to not do assignments that require files that exist only on my computer.
-Situations such as the one previously described are often causally linked to my pestering the Notre Dame Dell Solutions Center about the status of my computer.
-Dell Solutions Center employees, while knowledgable about some things, are quite testy with others:

"Hey, I was just wondering if I could get a status report on my computer"
"Sure, your name? [I give] Ooooooookay. They're actually working on it right now!"
"Great! When will it be ready?"
"Oh, I really don't know. The technician that's working on it isn't in today."
"Then how is it being worked on right now?"
"Oh, it's being worked on. It's on the workbench!"
"Well....I mean...."
"Yes?"
"It's nothing..."
"No, what?"
"Well, I don't know....I mean I have a hammer on my workbench at home but it's not being worked on"
"Actually, I think the technician might be on break."
"So is he is here?"
"Maybe. He's working on your computer"
"....when he's here?"
"I said he's on break."
"OK, cool, so he'll be back?"
"Not today"

Not today. Not today...