Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Post-Phelps

Ann Althouse wonders if you're still watching the Olympics after the season finale of The Michael Phelps Show, and also - do you prefer sports where someone crosses a line or touches a wall first or receives a mystical score from a panel of judges and experts who meet in a circle at midnight wearing hoods around a fire?

I made up a bit of the last part, but my sympathies are with the crossing the line crowd (former track and cross-country athlete, what did you expect?); however, Ann's post got me thinking - do women prefer sports like gymnastics or figure skating because they're more complex and allow for infinite variety or difficulty? Is the feminine brain somehow programmed to more readily accept 7.5 6.5 7.5 7.0 7.5 3.0 7.0 than the masculine head-fluff?

I really want to say yes, but then again, my favorite sport involves a huge panel of experts and journalists voting for their favorite at the end of the season to award a mythical national championship - and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.