Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Some Decades (Like the 90s) Are Worth Repeating

902102?

As in a spin-off to Beverly Hills, 90210.

My earliest memories of the show, like many an 8 year-old boy, are of my friend's older sister tuning in every week. By the time I reached middle school, the show was starting to get wild - people were having babies and stabbing each other or something. All because Kelly Kapowski left Saved By the Bell and became evil Valerie! Fortunately, I was able to get my required cultural education about the show from reruns of the earlier sensation-inducing seasons. I was about 13 when I first caught a few episodes of 90210 in this syndicated time capsule and what I saw opened my eyes: high school was going to be so cool.

Gangs! Jealousy! Affairs! Kelly Kapowski! The Peach Pit! Self-absorbed teenagers in their 30s! This was going to be so awesome!

And then high school was really more like middle school but with a lot of homework. Maybe this time around, 90210 won't lie to me.