Wednesday, July 02, 2008

New Sherlock Holmes Movie

Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
Holmes: "That was the curious incident."
Variety is reporting a new Sherlock Holmes movie starring Sasha Baron Cohen as Holmes and Will Ferrell as Watson. As some of you may know, I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. This is kind of a big deal. It will apparently be a comedic take on the classic duo and their adventures. So what do I think?

Well, since you asked, I think this could actually work really well. I have nothing against Will Ferrell, but I'm a little worried about how he might portray Watson - will he be buffoonish like Nigel Bruce opposite Basil Rathbone who couldn't go near a mop bucket without putting his foot in it, or will he be the strong, intelligent Watson of David Burke opposite Jeremy Brett in the more recent British television series?

My money is on the former, since this is a comedy, but this could be a fun take-off on the characters. My ultimate dream is to see a full-length serious and entertaining Sherlock Holmes film that weaves in several of the more compelling short stories, but I think this might do quite nicely.

(Hat tip: John)