Monday, June 02, 2008

Once You Pop...

Fredric J. Baur died May 4 at the age of 89. Baur was an organic chemist and food storage technician who specialized in research and development and quality control for Cincinnati-based Procter & Gamble Co.

Ordinarily, this news would never register on a national scale and since he passed away on May 4, you could argue that it didn't - until we found out how he would be buried - and why.

Baur was the inventor of the iconic Pringles can and requested that some of his ashes be buried in his creation. Thank you, Mr. Baur, for your invention. I have fond memories from my childhood/adulthood/right now of popping that top and tilting the salty chips into my mouth. I cut a slot in the top of one container and made a little bank for myself. I punched out the opposite end and made a telescope. I put little beads in it and made a rain stick. I lived a little better, Mr. Baur.

In memory: